What is the “perfect pizza”? It is the one that you like, whether it is a huge, dripping slice at a New York corner pizzeria, a bare-bones Pizza Marguerita from a Rome cafe, or the latest special at the pizza franchise in your neighbourhood.
It could even be the one you make yourself at home.
Essentially, a pizza is a flat base of dough, covered in a sauce and topped with cheese and then baked at high heat until the crust is crispy on the edges, the dough is fully cooked and the cheese is completely melted. Any number and variation of toppings can be used, from veggies to meats to seafood. The dough can be made from a traditional flour mixture, or the base can be created from just about anything that is flat and bakeable. Puréed cauliflower can be pressed into a crust for a great no-carb option, and people use all sorts of recipes for a “no dough” pizza crust. See ideas on Pinterest: “No Crust Pizza“.
What you will need for creating and serving pizza:
- Dough for the base. This can be made from scratch (or mix) or purchased frozen.
- Sauce – Traditional pizzas use a marina sauce or sauce based off of marina, but pizzas also feature BBQ sauce, Alfredo sauce, garlic butter, simple olive oil and ethnic sauces of all types.
- Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is a basic requirement for pizza, from pre-shredded commercial cheese used in restaurants worldwide, to gourmet Buffalo Mozzarella, plus Parmesan, Cheddar, Feta and more.
- Toppings – Pepperoni, Ham, Bacon, Italian Sausage, cut-up vegetables like Mushrooms (canned and fresh), peppers, onions, olives and more
- Seafood Toppings – shrimp, salmon, other fish, conch, lobster, clams, anchovies and scallops
- A very hot oven, a pizza stone is good and to serve, pizza cutters, and a pizza box
LINKS TO INGREDIENTS
BFS stocks a wide range of products you can use for making pizza. If you are looking for something really special, speak to your rep about popular, gourmet and special order options.
- Freschetta Pizza Dough – sheeted or rolled edge frozen pizza crusts
- Heinz and Perky’s Pizza Sauce
- Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheeses at BFS – American, Cheddar, Swiss, etc.
- Hormel Roasted Chicken topping
- Bacon – Hormel
- Savoury meats like Pepperoni, Proschiutto, Salami, Italian Sausage
- Mushrooms- Canned mushrooms hold up really well for pizza, and fresh mushrooms are good if you get all the water out.