2014 BFS Food Show Culinary Competition Recipe
Chef Keva Hamilton Rolle ~ Sapodilla Fine Dining Restaurant
BBQ Spice Rubbed CAB Tri-Tip Steak served with Parsnips Smashed w/Boursin Cheese, Sautéed Broccolini & Brussels Sprouts, on Grilled Eggplant
Tri Steak BBQ Rub
- BADIA SPICES®:
- 1 cup black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup onion powder
- ⅓ cup garlic powder
- ⅓ cup cumin powder
- ¾ cup paprika
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 8 pieces ground all spice
- 7 whole cloves
- 2 pieces star cinnamon
- ½ cup Cajun seasoning
- ¾ cup Blossom Sweet® honey
- 1 cup Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Basso® olive oil
- Sauté the cloves in a dry pan to toast. Add to a medium bowl and mix in remaining spices.
- Rub ¾ cup of honey and 1 cup Worcestershire sauce into the beef.
- Rub the spice mixture onto the steak making sure it is completely covered with the dry rub. Cover and refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- Heat olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium high heat. Add steak and sear on all four sides to seal in juices.
- Nappe steak with butter and place in oven for 2-3 minutes.
NAPPE: A French culinary term that means to completely cover in a thin layer of sauce, such as melted butter on the back of a spoon. Pronounced “nap”.
Red Onion and Lemon Compote
- 1 large red onion
- ⅓ cup grape seed oil
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 12 Badia® pink peppercorn seeds
- 1 Badia® bay leaf
- 1 branch thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2” lengths
- 2 tbsp Vermont Creamery® butter
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add all ingredients except the scallions with ¼ cup water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Taste and adjust seasoning then add the scallions and keep warm.
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 lb Cavendish® fingerling potatoes
- Basso® olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- fresh thyme leaves
- salt & black pepper
- DOWNLOAD RECIPE HERE
- VIEW MORE FOOD & PLATE IMAGES (Recipe Prep @ BFS)
- BFS Food Show
- BFS Food Show Recipes 2014
- ARTICLE: Holy Smokes! Badia Spices Introduces New Spice Rub