2014 BFS Food Show Culinary Competition Recipe
Chef Jamal Small ~ Villas at Ocean Club
The Bahamian Vegetarian Goes Asian BBQ with Vegan Beef Strips (soy protein product)
Smoked Barbeque Beefless Beef Strips with Toasted Sesame Seeds served with Go Green Wasabi Mash, Petite Market Vegetables, Crispy Avocado with Thai Chili Vinaigrette and Micro Seedlings
Smoked Asian B.B.Q Veggie Protein
- 4 cups Gardein® Beefless Beef Strips
- 2 cups cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Badia° cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Oil for frying and Hickory chips for smoking
1. Cut strips into uniform pieces and place into a ziplock plastic bag.
2. Use a smoking gun to put smoke into the bag and seal. Shake bag to distribute smoke evenly. Let sit for 1 hour, shaking at intervals.
3. Release smoke and pour strips into a bowl. Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Add flour and cornstarch and toss to coat.
5. Shake excess and deepfry in 350° oil until crisp. Drain on wire rack. Set aside to plate.
Asian BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup basic barbeque sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1½ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1 nob fresh ginger
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, cleaned and sliced
- Fresh thyme
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup Florida Crystals® white sugar
- ¼ cup Blossom Sweet® honey
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed pepper
- 1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet® browning
Bring all ingredients to a rapid boil for 5 minutes in a pot. Reduce heat to simmer until consistency will coat the back of a spoon. Strain and set aside.
- Ripe avocado cut into 2” pieces
- Panko breadcrumbs
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper
- Badia® Cajun Seasoning
- Eggland’s Best® whole eggs
- Oil for frying
1. Set up dredging station with flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs.
2. Place avocado pieces in flour, then eggs, flour, eggs and then breadcrumbs to coat. Let sit 5 minutes.
3. Deep fry in 350° oil until golden. Drain on wire rack.
4. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, salt and black pepper while hot.
- 1 large russet potato (aka Idaho)
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup wasabi greens
- 1 tsp wasabi powder
- 1 cup heavy cream, heated
- 2 tbsp whole butter
- A few tablespoons hot water
- Salt and cracked pepper
- Peel potatoes and soak in cold water for half hour; this releases the starch.
- Cut potatoes and rinse. Boil until tender. Drain and return pot so that potatoes are dried out.
- Mash potatoes with a whisk. Add hot cream and butter season to taste.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold potatoes; this creates a smooth more airy finished product. Set aside.
- Into a blender or food processor, place spinach, wasabi greens, wasabi powder, pinch of salt and hot water and blend until completely smooth. Mixture should have some body to it. Keep warm until ready to plate.
Thai Vinaigrette with Pepquino
½ cup sweet chili
1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 tbsp boiling hot water
Juice of 1 lime
1 pint pepquino cut in half
- Combine everything except pepquino and shake well to form a broken vinaigrette.
- Add pepquino halvess and let sit until ready for plating.
2 baby zucchini squash, cut in quarters
4 baby carrots, cut in quarters
4 green beans, cut on a bias
4 sugar snap peas, cut in half
8 cherry tomatoes
4 green asparagus, cut and peeled
4 white asparagus, cut and peeled
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
Shiso purple micro greens
Blanch and shock each vegetable individually with the exception of the tomatoes. In a sauté pan heat oil garlic and thyme this should perfume oil. Cook tomatoes season and set aside. When plating heat all vegetable together with a bit of butter, h20 and the shiso season and ready to use.
Micro seedlings needed:
Shiso purple micro greens
Wasabi micro greens
Cilantro micro green popcorn shoots
More by Chef Jamal
MORE FROM CHEF JAMAL
FINISH & PLATE
Coat a wok lightly with sesame oil over high heat. Pour in Asian BBQ Sauce, add protein strips and toss until heated through and coated. Finish with chopped scallions, toasted sesame seeds and micro cilantro. Plate with Wasabi Mash, Crispy Avocado and Market Vegetables. Garnish with Microgreens. Dress Avocado and Microgreens lightly with the Vinaigrette.
- DOWNLOAD RECIPE HERE
- VIEW MORE FOOD & PLATE IMAGES (Recipe Prep @ BFS)
- BFS Food Show
- BFS Food Show Recipes 2014
- ARTICLE: Holy Smokes! Badia Spices Introduces New Spice Rub