Queen Elizabeth II has passed away at the age of 96 at her Balmoral estate in England. Prince Charles has become King Charles of the United Kingdom at the age of 74 upon his mother’s passing.
The Bahamas has been a Crown Colony of Britain since 1718, and still today uses a system of government whereas the head of the monarchy in Britain is the automatic Head of State of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas. Technically, Queen Elizabeth was “Queen of The Bahamas” with all executive authority and the power of a constitutional role. The position is represented by the Governor-General, an appointed viceroy who performs most ceremonial duties on behalf of the throne within the country.
The Bahamas remains part of the Commonwealth of Nations along with 14 other countries that recognise the current British monarch as Head of State. The country is led by a Prime Minister, a person appointed by the Governor-General after being announced the winner of a general election.
Queen Elizabeth II
1926 – 2022
"Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth"
DID YOU KNOW? Queen Elizabeth and her family have visited The Bahamas many time, as part of ceremonies and official visits and on vacation. Here are a few listings.
TIMES THE ROYAL FAMILY VISITED THE BAHAMAS:
- 1966, February: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip in February 1966
- 1973, July 1973, Prince Charles represented the Queen at the Bahamian independence celebrations in Nassau.
- 1975, February: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip
- 1977, October: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip (Silver Jubilee)
- 1979: Princess Anne and her husband Captain Mark Phillips to commemorate 250 years of Bahamian parliamentary democracy
- 1985: Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited in 1982 for a 10-day vacation
- 1985, October: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip CHOGM
- 1994, March 1994: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip
- 2012, March: Prince Harry in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee
- 2015: The Princess Royal visited the Bahamas in 2015
- 2016: Prince Edward and his wife Countess Sophie
- 2022, March: Prince William and his wife, Duchess Catherine (Platinum Jubilee)